Wednesday, January 30, 2013

To die for Winter squash recipe

Last night I thought I was going to be lazy about supper, so I threw some potatoes in to bake around 5.

Around 6 I remembered the gigantic Butternut squash that had been sitting on my counter for a week and decided I'd do something with it. My son came in when I was chopping the squash up and asked what I was going to make with it. I told him that I was imagining a creamy soup, and he said "you mean miso soup?", Which is his absolute favorite food of the moment.

After searching around the internet for a while I came across an interesting page and recipe: Medicine woman recipe

I made a few little changes, but it was the most delicious soup, with delicate, harmonious flavors. Here is what I did:


I guess it could be called "Butternut Miso Soup"

Peel 2 large carrots, 2 large parsnips, and half of a butternut squash with the seeds scooped out. Put these in a large stock pot with 2 quarts of water. Boil for 30 minutes, or till soft enough to mash. Remove the veggies and mash them in a bowl, then blend with a mixer, or you could just put them in a processor.
Return the mash to the boiling water and add 3 T grated ginger, and 3 T finely minced garlic
Simmer for 10 minutes, then remove from heat and add 3-4 T brown or red miso paste, and 3 T tahini paste (perhaps mixing with some water in a small bowl to separate before adding to soup pot)

Cover with lid till time to eat, but don't simmer again. Serve with chopped greens, if desired. Could serve with brown rice.

We ate soup and potatoes and it was the perfect meal. Superyum.

No comments:

Post a Comment